Date(s) - 05/21/17
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sisters of St Joseph Convent
Additional Information (if available)URL for more information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/long-island-unity-collaborative-organizing-training-registration-33737359350?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_confirmation_email&utm_term=eventname&ref=eemailordconf.
The Long Island Unity Collaborative invites you to join us for a training on how to form and sustain a Local Unity Action Committee in your community. Building on several successful Unity Town Halls that have been held on Long Island since November, this training is a chance to build your knowledge and skills so you can effectively fight against hate and/or address other injustices in your community.
At the training, you’ll learn more about:
– The Long Island Unity Collaborative and Principles of Unity
– The specific history of inequality we face on Long Island
– Skills for community organizing against hate
– Skills for rapid response and de-escalation of hate incidents
– Skills for advocating with legislators on issues faced by vulnerable communities
– How to start your own Local Unity Action Committee to fight hate in your community
The training sessions will be offered by members of the Long Island Unity Collaborative-Coordinating Committee, which includes representatives from:
– Long Island Civic Engagement Table
– Long Island Jobs with Justice
– Make the Road New York
– New York Civil Liberties Union-Suffolk Chapter
– Parent Leadership Initiative
– Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic
– Sepa Mujer
– Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Roundtable
Lunch will be provided.