Date(s) - 11/20/18
4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Islip Town Hall
Additional Information (if available)URL for more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/2090979277820791/.
The Suffolk Student Climate Action Committee will be holding a peaceful picket in front of the Islip town hall.
WHY: On July 16th, 2018, Islip Town Supervisor Angie M. Carpenter made a written promise to the Suffolk Student Climate Action Committee (SSCAC) that she would be selecting an individual in the Planning Department to address climate change/renewable energy matters. In an in-person meeting with SSCAC representatives, she promised this individual would be selected within two to three months. We are long past that deadline. For too long the Town of Islip has not acted to address climate change.
We protest with the following demands:
1. A commitment to 100% renewable electricity for all municipal buildings by 2030
2. Changing of zoning codes to mandate that all new buildings have the capacity and cardinal direction necessary for solar panels
3. Hiring of a “Sustainability Director” whose job shall be to investigate, create, and enforce pro-climate policy within the Town of Islip
4. Further pursuance of becoming a New York State Clean Energy Community
5. Creation of financial incentives for renewable energy use and emissions reductions through subsidies, tax breaks, or tax penalties (like a carbon tax)
WHAT: The peaceful picket will take place in front of the town hall’s steps and on the lawn. Please bring picket signs and wear topic-relevant clothing if possible. Chants will be distributed online prior to the event and in person. An individual from SSCAC will lead chants. Youth voices will be prioritized; we are pushing the message that it is the future of the children at stake. Media will likely be in attendance. At 5:30PM we will enter the building and sign up to speak during public comment. At this point we will articulate our demands to the board. Again, youth voices will be prioritized.
RSVP for this event
RSVPs are closed for this event, the event has started.